Today, I’ve got a Thai Chicken Salad with amazing texture and flavors, but first, let’s talk about Mommy Guilt.
Now that the craziness from back to school had faded into the new normal, one of my big goals is to start working out again.
I’ve mentioned many times that since becoming a Mom more than ten years ago, I struggle with keeping any consistency with working out. I start programs with great enthusiasm. (Usually, it is something meant for someone in better shape.) A few weeks into working out, I become stressed for time, and my workout is the first thing to go.
And as terrible as it sounds, I feel guilty when I work out because I always feel like I should be doing something else. Cleaning the house, playing with the kids, making a homemade meal, or working.
The other thing I have going on is that I have the attention span of a toddler. I don’t mind working out; I just get bored quickly. Even changing routines once a month has been a problem for me. But yet, I KNOW I have to do something. With my crazy thyroid and a stressful summer, I’ve managed to put on more weight than I’d like to admit. And, sadly, I can no longer blame it on “Baby Weight”. Is there such a thing as Toddler Weight?
While I get mentally geared up, let’s share a salad that is perfect fuel for an intense workout. And speaking of intense, this Thai Chicken Salad is packed with flavor. I adore the color and texture.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (get a freecoconut oil with a Thrive Market Membership)*
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (Red Boat brand)
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (or 2 drops Ginger Essential Oil)
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Honey, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup raw cashews, toasted and chopped
- Heat coconut oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Add chicken and saute until browned and the chicken is fully cooked. Allow to cool and shred chicken
- Make dressing by whisking together lime juice, fish sauce, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified. Add honey to taste.
- In a large bowl combine cabbage, red pepper, carrots, scallions, basil, cilantro and chicken.
- Toss with dressing. Top with cashews and serve.
You can find complete recipes of this THAI CHICKEN SALAD WITH GINGER LIME DRESSING in wendypolisi.com