Here is a recipe I’ve been meaning to share for probably the last 3 years. It’s much like an entree I order at a local restaurant (Rumbi for anyone from Utah or Idaho) and I love being able to make it at home. I also love that this recipe doesn’t require any marinating and therefor it comes together pretty quickly, especially if you happen to have left over rice. Another great thing is that you’ll likely have some left over teriyaki sauce from this recipe to use for grilled chicken, salmon or beef the next day.
Whether it be a rice bowl, a noodle bowl, a loaded salad bowl, a big bowl full of pasta, a breakfast bowl (is that a thing? It should be!) – entree bowls are always just good comfort food and you can always count on them to be loaded with goodness! I recently read in article in New York Times about how bowls are becoming much more common place at dinner and it just makes sense. They can pack a lot in, they can be used for just about anything, they’re more couch friendly than a plate, and many foods often look better in a bowl then they do piled on a plate. I know I need to order more big bowls because I love the idea of dinner in a bowl…like this recipe here. So grab yourself some big bowls and fill them up with these perfectly delicious Teriyaki Grilled Chicken and Veggie Rice Bowls!
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
Chicken, veggies and rice
- 3 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 1/2 lbs bonless skinless chicken breasts
- Ground black pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into half moons and quartered (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots
- 2 1/2 cups small diced broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups white or brown rice, cooked according to directions on package (I prefer short grain brown rice)
- Sesame seeds, optional
For the teriyaki sauce:
- In a small saucepan whisk together low-sodium soy sauce, 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp of the water, the brown sugar, honey, garlic, ginger and rice vinegar. Bring mixture to a light boil over medium-high heat. Whisk together cornstarch with remaining 2 Tbsp water, then add to sauce mixture in saucepan. Reduce heat slightly and allow to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, set aside.
You can find complete recipes of this Teriyaki Grilled Chicken and Veggie Rice Bowls in cookingclassy.com