Slow Cooker (Skinny) Loaded Potato Soup is perfect for Saint Patrick’s Day, but also any time you’re wanting healthier comfort food!
My Mom makes the best soup. Try her Creamy Chicken Soup and you’ll know I’m right! That soup is amazing, and my all-time favorite…the only problem? It isn’t healthy. I’m all for comfort food and I think good food should be splurged on, but when you’re able to eat a bit healthier, that’s never a bad thing.
She came up with this Slow Cooker SKINNY Loaded Potato Soup…and I’m hooked. I’ll splurge on the chicken soup once a month and eat this every other day of the month. It’s so good! Making small changes in the healthy direction doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor. The men in our family all ate this up and couldn’t even tell it was skinny.
We thought this was a cute recipe for Saint Patrick’s Day without being toooo themed. Sometimes the holiday themed recipes get to be a bit too much for me. So I’ll resume those tomorrow. 🙂
- 6 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 40 ounces low-fat chicken broth
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 1-teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-teaspoon Parisien Bonnes Herb or a blend of chives, French tarragon, basil & dill
- 11/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 11/2 cups low-fat cheese, cheddar or Gruyere work well
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- low-fat sour cream
- 1-pound turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- green onions, thinly sliced
- chives, chopped
- Spray the inside of slow cooker with cooking spray and set the temperature to HIGH.
- Pour diced potatoes, chicken stock, salt, pepper and red pepper into the slow cooker.
- Saute sliced carrots in 2-3 tablespoons olive oil 3 minutes.
- Add diced onion to the carrots and cook on medium-high until onion is translucent.
- Add minced garlic and saute 30 seconds more.
- Add sauted carrots, onion and garlic to the potato broth mixture.
- Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or until potatoes have softened.
- Using a potato masher, mash part of the cooked vegetables while they are still in the slow cooker.
- Only mash down on the vegetables 3-4 times.
- Add herbs, half-and-half, cheese and chives. Mix well.
You can find complete recipes of this SLOW COOKER SKINNY LOADED POTATO SOUP in thecookierookie.com