One Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup your entire family will LOVE! This easy soup tastes just like white chicken lasagna with cheesy layers of noodles smothered in velvety Italian spiced Parmesan infused sauce without all the layering or dishes! Simply saute chicken and veggies and dump in all ingredients and simmer away for a pot of velvety, slurpilicoius flavor!
So it happened. My Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup joined the 1 Million Pinterest Club along with my Cream Cheese Stuffed Banana Bread Coffee Cake, Chili Lime Chicken Tacos and my Southwest Pepper Jack Salad (2M)! And I must say it is well deserved because that soup is the BOMB with tons of glowing reviews – definitely a readers favorite. If you haven’t tried that One Pot Lasagna Soup yet, please make it this winter because you will be doing yourself and your whole family a big, comforting cheesy pot of a favor.
Today’s One Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup was definitely inspired by my aforementioned Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup, as I use the same technique but the flavor profile is completely different as there is meaty ragu sauce in one and creamy chicken with spinach in the other. The inspiration for this soup more comes from our trip to Cancun. Random, right? A couple years ago, Patrick and I were going to go with my family to Lake Powell.
I had been receiving home IV antibiotics through a PIC Line (IV inserted in the upper arm) for pneumonia and so I scheduled to have my line removed a day earlier then we were all going to drive up to Lake Powell that morning together. Unfortunately, I got the call that a family member was sick which meant I would not be going to Lake Powell as I cannot be around anyone who is sick due to being immuno suppressed (due to my lung transplant in 1999, see story HERE). So my hero husband booked us a spontaneous trip to Cancun the next morning. In fact, you can see a pic of my bandaged IV arm in Cancun HERE on IG.
So long story made longer, the All Inclusive Resort we stayed at boasted an AH-mazing Italian restaurant with a Bechamel Lasagna that I ordered on TWO separate occasions. The way the velvety sauce cradled the thin noodles in every comforting bite was dream worthy. And I knew I had to recreate it in one way or another. So this One Pot White Chicken Lasagna is my tribute. And its a good one.
Patrick couldn’t stop raving about the cheesy layers of goodness. And I still can’t get over the “can’t-get-any-easier” approach of dumping all the noodles into one pot without the time-consuming, tedious, layering!
To make your One Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup, saute your chicken for a couple minutes, then remove to a plate, then saute your onions, carrots, bell peppers and garlic.
Sprinkle in some flour, cook, then stir in your chicken broth, white beans, and your cast of seasonings including parsley, basil, oregano and thyme because all that liquid cream needs some flA-vor! Next, add your lasagna noodles and simmer away until the noodles are al dente.
Next, stir in half and half, optional heavy cream, chopped spinach and warm through.
Finally, stir in 1 cup Parmesan Cheese for extra luscious creaminess…
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 9-11 cups low sodium chicken broth divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 15 oz can canneli beans rinsed and rained
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- teaspoon Dash – 1/4red pepper flakes optional
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles broken into approx. 1-2 inch pieces*
- 2-3 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream optional
- 10 oz chopped frozen baby spinach thawed
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ricotta cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven/soup pot over medium high heat.
- Add chicken and cook until almost cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Melt butter with 2 tablespoons olive oil in the now empty pot and heat over medium high heat.
- Add onions and carrots and cook, while stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in flour then cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes (it will be thick).
- Turn heat to low and gradually stir in 8 cups chicken broth.
- Whisk 3 tablespoons cornstarch with 1 cup additional chicken broth and add to soup.
- Stir in chicken, beans, chicken bouillon and all remaining herbs and spices.
- Stir in lasagna noodles.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until lasagna noodles are tender, stirring occasionally so noodles don’t stick to bottom (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- Turn heat to low, discard bay leaf and stir in half and half, optional heavy cream and spinach and warm through.
- Stir in 1 cup Parmesan cheese until melted.
- Stir in additional half and half or broth if desired for a less “chunky” soup.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish individual servings with desired amount of cheeses.
- I love lasagna noodles in this recipe – they are slurpilicious! Don’t worry about them breaking evenly – you won’t notice once they cook. You can also replace the noodles with 2 1/2 cups uncooked small shells if desired and simmer for less time.
- If you want to omit the heavy cream but still would like a thicker soup then I suggest whisking 2 teaspoons cornstarch with some of the chicken broth and adding to the soup to simmer and thicken.
You can find complete recipes of this ONE POT WHITE CHICKEN LASAGNA SOUP in carlsbadcravings.com