Over Christmas I wanted to make mince pies, they are traditional British
pies filled with mincemeat and are common all over the UK during the festive period, I was yearning for a taste of home and so decided to throw some together at the last minute.
I’ve made Mince Pies with gluten free pastry in the past, I adapted a gluten shortcrust pastry recipe from an old British cookbook and they worked very well as I remember.
Now perhaps it’s because I’m totally disorganized or simply a function of being on the wrong side of forty, but I couldn’t remember which book or which recipe I’d used previously, so in a rush I turned to Google and pulled up a recipe for gluten free pastry off the internet, what could possibly go wrong?
“They’re a little bit chewy, Mom” said my ten year old son, he was being very generous.
They were basically inedible and tough as old boots. There was nothing else for it but to trash them, and I never did get around to trying Mince Pies again as all the Christmas busyness took over and we simply moved on to cooking other sugar filled goodies instead.
Well I’m happy to report that my gluten free Lemon Bars work well and the shortbread crust is perfect!
No baking disasters with them so far and no complaints from my son or anyone else in the house. They were so tasty that I ended up giving away some away for fear that I would eat the whole lot while the kids were at school.
- 175g (Approx. 1.5 sticks) Dairy Free Margarine (or butter if you don’t need to avoid dairy)
- 75g (1/3 cup + 1 tbspn) sugar
- 250g (Approx 1.5 cups (see notes!) ) gluten free all purpose flour
- 1tsp xanthan gum (omit if your flour has any gums added)
- ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- 300g 1½ cups sugar
- 120mls ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 30g ¼ cup all purpose gluten free flour, or cornstarch
- gluten free powdered sugar to dust
- *Please read the notes first!*
- You will need a 9×13 baking pan, line the base and sides with parchment paper
- Preheat your oven to 350f
- Cream butter (or margarine) and sugar in mixer.
- In separate bowl add flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and mix well. Omit the Xanthan gum if you are using a ready made flour mixture which has gum added.
You can find complete recipes of this Lemon Bars – Gluten Free in noshtastic.com