This is the best Chickpea Stew ever! It is hearty and comforting, tastes delicious with rice. I have been so busy lately, it’s been a roller coaster ride since our move to Ohio. So many wonderful things are happening to our family and we feel so grateful for the abundance of blessings that are coming our way. I have been delaying putting up new recipes because it’s been so difficult for me to decide which ones go on my website and which ones go in my cookbook.
- 1 cup chick peas , dry or two-15 ounce cans chick peas, drained)
- 1 tbsp olive oil , (1/4 cup water)
- 1 medium onion , minced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 medium tomato , chopped
- 1 carrot , diced
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups liquid from boiled chickpeas or water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne , pepper
- If you are using dried chickpeas, sort, wash and soak them overnight. The next day drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Cover with water about 2 inches above chickpeas and bring to boil on medium heat.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook until tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain chickpeas and reserve 2 cups of liquid, set aside.
- If using canned chickpeas, start at step 5.
- Heat oil or water in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring. Add bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, chickpeas, parsley, basil and oregano.
- Add tomato paste and water, cover and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Mash some of the chickpeas, with the back of a fork to thicken stew.
- Check seasoning with extra salt and pepper.
- Delicious served with brown rice.
Source of this Chickpea Stew, Best Vegan and Gluten-free is healthiersteps.com